During a somewhat uneventful hospital stay we only had a few
times during the non-stress tests when Repete’s heart rate dropped a little too low and twice they called
the doctor. I had a planned C-Section at 34 weeks exactly, August 23, 2014. The
placenta was breaking down and none of us wanted to risk either of the babies
dying in utero. At this point they were safer out of me than in. The C-Section was my second time in an OR that
year – and although I had an epidural before during the birth of 2 of my other
children, I was insanely scared of getting the spinal block, and was also
scared it wouldn’t work. As it turned out the spinal block worked just fine. (Although they are similar: both require a
needle poked into your back and medication to stop pain, a spinal block is a
little different than an epidural.) Matthew
was allowed in the OR once I was settled. I asked if they had a screen so I
could watch the C-Section but they didn’t have one, bummer. I could just see
the reflection in the huge operating light, so I watched that. I told Matthew when
to take a picture with his phone above the sheet blocking my view just as each
baby was taken out. Immediately after they were born they were brought into an
adjoining room and assessed there; Matthew went with the twins. Ian (who had been Repete) was born first at
2lbs 11oz (1210 g) and Ryan (who had been Pete) was born 3 minutes later at
4lbs 6oz. (1990 g) Ian had an Apgar score of 5 at one minute and then an Apgar score
of 8 at five minutes, and a head circumference of 29cm. (An Apgar score is used to help healthcare providers quickly evaluate a
newborns physical condition (0-2 points for each Appearance, Pulse, Grimace,
Activity, Respiration) Lowest score being 0, highest score being 10). Ryan
had an Apgar score of 9 at one minute and 9 again at 5 minutes and a head
circumference of 31cm. They both needed a little help breathing. Ian had mild
retractions and respiratory distress (Mild
difficulty breathing causing retraction in the belly), and was put on CPAP (CPAP is a machine that uses mild air
pressure to help prevent airway closure), with room air (no extra oxygen).
Ryan was grunting and required resuscitation and was put on CPAP, with room
air. I was closed up and wheeled into the recovery room. The nurses took each
twin to see me in recovery before heading upstairs to the NICU. After that I
amused myself with my floppy legs. I thought it was a neat feeling, haha! I
tried to see if I could still will my legs to move even though I had the spinal
block… nope I couldn’t.
No comments:
Post a Comment