We've been pretty busy around here for the last week and a bit since my last post. I'll start with last Thursday. :-)
Last Thursday I called the Dr. office to book an appt. for Dylan, he was breathing quickly and was pretty sick. The receptionist said she had a cancellation at 11:30am so she could fit us in there. We headed to the Dr. and Becca Babysat Miriam and Madison. (So nice to have family right here so I didn't have to take all the kids to the Dr. office :-) )
Dylan and I got into the Dr's office at 12ish and the Dr. looked him over, weighed him etc. Then she checked his O2 levels on his finger, she then checked them on his toe, and then left the room. She came back with another O2 tester and tested his finger again. Then she said she would be right back. After about 5mins or so she came back and told me she was going to call the ambulance :-O I went into a semi shock state :-S I didn't realize his O2 levels were so low! (Does anyone know if I can get an at home O2 tester?)
The paramedics showed up, got us all set up in the ambulance and gave Dylan some oxygen right away. When we got to the Stollery Childrens Hospital we waited for a bit and then got a room in the emerg. I called Matthew then and let him know what was happening and he talked to Becca and let her know that I wouldn't be home anytime soon.
Dylan got some blood taken and a chest x-ray, (those aren't fun for little kids) :-( ! he also had an O2 tube in his nose, an IV and an O2 sensor on his toe - he couldn't really move around cuz of the tubes etc. but he wasn't really running around at that point anyway. He was a VERY good boy! I felt so bad for him, but he rarely even whined as all dr.s and nurses and training paramedics(?) poked and prodded him and asked the same questions over and over.
As I was at the hospital Becca took care of Miriam and Madison. Miriam had a fever - before I had left to the dr. with Dylan she had tried to convince me that she was also sick but she didn't have a fever yet so I told her to lay down and Auntie Becca would get her some juice :-). Becca also swept and washed my floor (even under the stove - I don't think under the stove had been done in 2-3 years :-S) and My MIL vacuumed, dusted(?) (I think cuz I rarely dust and my house is not very dusty right now) she cleaned my bathroom, and with Rachel (sil) finished my laundry :-) I probably missed something but
THANK-YOU!!! For all your help!
My parents and Sherene and Aaron were coming on Friday morn sometime and well I'm a bit of a procrastinator and well.... I figured I could do all that housework on Thursday and Friday morn. :-S
My parents, Aaron and Sherene, Becca, my MIL and Rachel also helped out on Friday and Saturday :-) Rachel even gave Miriam a bath :-) On Friday I wasn't able to babysit Madison so her grandma took care of her on Friday :-)
Matthew came to visit Matthew and I at the hospital and we worked out a plan to get the van from the dr. office to the hospital so if Dylan was allowed to go home on Friday I would be able to leave. Matthew called his parents and they helped with that. :-)
Dylan and I stayed in emerg over night. The admitted us but there were no rooms upstairs for us. They brought us upstairs on Friday at around noonish to a VERY nice room! I had my own shower, bed, and Dylan had his own TV, cable was paid for and we had lots of space. We had our own room because the dr's weren't sure if the Pneumonia was Bacterial or Viral. Dylan wasn't allowed to go into any other rooms because of this and the dr's etc. that came in wore a mask, gloves, and a gown.
Matthew and Miriam came with supper on Friday night - Dylan was starting to try climb out of his crib and getting back to his normal monkey self :-P so Miriam and Dylan were very happy to see each other and ate a few fries and had some juice. :-)
Saturday was a bit crazy. Dylan was off his O2 for a bit on Friday but on Friday night they had to put it back in :-( there was also a bit of a problem with his iv cuz the nurse, being a good nurse, didn't want Dylan to strangle himself while he was sleeping so she put a plastic rod thing on the iv tube and well Dylan didn't really like that a whole lot and while he was sleeping managed to pull it out a bit. the nurse came in at 2am to give him his iv antibiotics and she noticed it was a bit out :-( so she tried for 5mins or so to get it back in but she couldn't seem to get it so she pulled it out and went to go see if she could just give him oral stuff from now on. So from hen on it was oral stuff instead of through the iv :-) YAY! no more iv!
Saturday morning came and went - Dylan was off of the oxygen again, the dr. said if he was off for 8hrs then we could go home :-) Because Dylan didn't have his iv in anymore or his O2 they unhooked his O2 sensor off so he could walk around.... Well he was back to his old self again!!! climbing up to medical supplies that are supposed to be too high to reach, opening drawers and closets, sneaking into the bathroom so he could flush the toilet, spinning the garbage can lid... I was running after him all day! And the room was fairly empty! :-P
He had a nap in the afternoon and his O2 levels stayed good, then he ran around the room most of the afternoon. I still wasn't sure if we were going to be able to leave soon cuz the dr. hadn't told the nurses that if he was off O2 for 8hrs then he could go home, and the nurse said the dr would most likely come by around supper time but supper came and went but no dr. ...... So I put Dylan to bed. My parents and Matthew arrived to visit and just before they got there I had talked to the dr. and he said they just needed to fill out the paperwork and we would be out of there!! YAY!! I was so glad to go home! I had to wake Dylan up then and he was very cranky :-( first time he did this since we got to the hospital. Dylan was very quiet the ride home but when we got home and he seen Miriam he ran up to her and gave her a HUGE hug! He missed her! Then they ran around for a while and visited with Opa, Nana, Auntie Sherene, Uncle Aaron, Auntie Rachel, Auntie Becca, Grandma and Grandpa!
Dylan is doing way better now! Hopefully we don't end up at the hospital next time he gets the flu! :-S
What a blessing our health care system is hey?
ReplyDeleteI'm glad we were able to visit with you all even for a few minutes at Tim's on Wednesday.
glad everyone is feeling better, hope it stays that way.
Oh poor little guy! Im so glad he got better and he could go home. Sounds like your week/weekend was a busy one, but so nice that Mom and Dad could be there to help out along with everyone else!
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear he was well enough to go home again. Never nice to see our little ones so sick. You feel sooo helpless.
ReplyDeleteSounds terrible! I'm so glad he's feeling better.
ReplyDelete