Well we had a great surprise on Friday :-) I went for my scheduled 18-20wk ultrasound appointment, and the tech told us we are having TWINS! We are so excited, a little overwhelmed, but excited! The tech said both babies look good, but couldn't get measurements of everything, but not to worry, there will be many ultrasounds from now on :-)
Here are a few questions we have been asked:
Are they identical?
Yes, the ultrasound tech couldn't find a separating membrane, so they share a sac. After some reading Matthew and I learned that sharing a sac could 'cause' some problems. To name one problem, they could knot up their umbilical cords, which is one of the reasons they take so many ultrasounds - if one gets a knot they will monitor very closely and if it tightens then they will have to do a C-section. Another major thing is something called twin-to-twin-transfusion, basically both babies share a placenta and one twin is hogging all the good stuff and the other twin gets what's left over...(That's how I understand it anyway) There are a few other problems, but they are hard to explain with out boring you :-P I'll try keep you updated if any of these arise and try to explain them if they do :-)
Do you know the gender?
The ultrasound tech found the gender on one - A boy, and because they are identical the other is a boy as well :-)
How are you feeling?
Well I was feeling like a big suck before the ultrasound... I've never had very many pregnancy symptoms with previous pregnancies, and this one seemed to be worse :-( Now that I know it's 2 babies, I feel like less of a suck haha!
Did you know it was twins?
Well we had our suspicions... there were a few things quite different from my previous pregnancies. But we kept flip flopping between doubting it was twins, to being about 80% sure haha (at one point we even picked out 4 names (2per gender) just in case!...we like to be prepared... haha!
- I was
sooo exhausted! More than I've been with previous pregnancies, but I have 3 kids at home this time and I was also babysitting 2 kids full time for 2 months in my first trimester, and another baby a few days a week... so that could by why right?
- I was extra nauseous . I still didn't puke,(but I very rarely puke, even when I'm sick).
- I was having some extreme headaches. I've had headaches during pregnancy before, but not this bad or this often.
-At my
first appointment (I went a little late cuz I've had a few kids already, I
know what's going on...) I found out that my pregnancy hormones were
fairly high, this is not normal for me, but the numbers still fell into
the 'normal' range for other people who have just one baby, so the dr. didn't seem alarmed.
- I had to pee constantly... even after my first trimester. ugh! No full night sleep for me.. lol
-I am also
having a hard time eating a whole meal already at 3 1/2 - 4 months??? What? For me, second
trimester means I don't feel pregnant. I can lift, bend, eat, pee normally, shave my legs, clip my toenails, etc. Not this time...
- I was having some crazy awful round ligament pain - dr. said that's because I've had a few babies already...
- I had not been measured yet. I had gone to my regular family dr. the first (late) appointment, and she couldn't find the top of my uterus (because it was higher than she expected?) She gave up pretty quick and just listened for the heartbeat instead. :-) (only found one, but the heartbeats may be beating at the same time due to being identical... that's what one article said... but then again she stopped after finding one heartbeat... why look for 2 for no reason?) My first appt with my OB was last week Monday, and she seemed to be in a hurry, so she only listened for a heartbeat very quickly, and when I asked if she could measure me, she said, 'you look about right to me'... My ultrasound was on Friday that week anyway. so I didn't push it... even if I was measuring big, it would still have to be confirmed by ultrasound. :-P
There were a few other things that pointed to twins, but I've had a few babies so that could be the reason this pregnancy was a little different too. :-P
Because the twins are identical and sharing the same sac, there are a few complications that come with that, so I will have an ultrasound ever 2 weeks, and the babies will likely be born (C-section) at 32-34 weeks ... teeny tiny... I'm a little nervous about that :-S
anyway that's about all the news I have for now... I'll try blog again soon, cuz I'd like to share some fun times Dylan and Miriam have had these past weeks :-)
This is a pic of baby B :-) I'll have lots of ultrasounds so I'm hoping to get a picture of both of them next time :-)

Ted and Carol Kanis had twins with Twin to Twin transfusion syndrome. Both babies were born healthy. Carol spent some time in the hospital in Vancouver. I don't remember everything around that.
ReplyDeletePraying everything goes well for the remainder of the pregnancy. I can imagine a mixture of excitement and anxiety.
I think the anxiety is pretty much gone for me :-) Friday I was super excited, Saturday I felt overwhelmed/scared about the pregnancy mostly, and Sunday was Comforting :-) Now, I'm feeling super excited again, and trying to plan out the next few months, making a lists of what we need, planning out what we need to change in this house to make room for 2 babies, trying to finish landscaping and home reno projects already started, changing summer holiday plans, And now to try to get it all done asap :-) Matthew is doing ok :-) He's happy we will all still fit in our van :-P He usually has a harder time with change than I do, but he also works his best under pressure ;-P haha
DeleteI should correct that a little... I'm not finishing the home reno stuff, or the landscaping... Matthew is :-P
DeleteNicely written, Lorelle I am so excited for you! Dylan must be happy to have two little brothers coming up ;) Praying for you, the babies, and the rest of the family, especially Matthew! I can see it takes some time to get used to two on top of the other three. Who'd have thought Lydia is going to be the middle child soon? ;) Take care!
DeleteThanks Arenda :-) We told Dylan in stages about the babies haha. First we told him that we are having a boy, and then later when we got home we told him there are TWO boys in mommy's tummy :-) He is over the moon excited :-) Miriam's reaction was 'Oh WOW. Now there is one baby for me to hold, and one for Dylan to hold' :-P Lydia has no idea what's coming.. :-P probably better that way :-)
DeleteI just thought about Lydia being the middle child this morning, that is weird :-P
On an unrelated note: I hope you are having a good time. :-)
Congratulations Lorelle and Matthew! I don't know you, but have been reading your blog for a while. My name is Linda Tenhage and I am from the Grassie CanRC (not sure if you're familiar with the area, but we're about 1/2 hour from Niagara Falls). We have 5 boys and are expecting baby #6 in about 6 weeks. I wish you a wonderful pregnancy - I pray that God will protect the lives within, and in due time grant you a safe delivery!
ReplyDeleteltenhage@gmail.com