Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Surgery is Over :-)

Yesterday was a long day - we woke up, left our hotel and walked down to the hospital. We arrived at the hospital at 7am, they admitted me, put me in a room, put an iv in and did some blood work. After that we waited (and I fasted - I had started fasting at 10 pm the night before) until 7pm and then finally we headed to the operating room :-) (I have to admit I was a little grouchy after noon or so... being so hungry apparently does that to me... :-S  But once the dr. came to get us for the operation I felt better :-) )
 The dr. did an ultrasound before the operation to determine the position of the babies and placenta, they use the ultrasound machine the entire operation. The anesthestiologist gave me a little general anesthetic to relax me, the nurses got me into a comfortable position - I was so comfy! the dr. put some pink disinfectant on my belly, and then freezing on the spot they would make the incision, and the nurses put a sheet up so we couldn't see the dr actually doing the operation. We did get a screen so we could see everything on the camera, then the dr. did the incision (ouch that hurt! I didn't realize I was going to feel it so much) and in a few seconds we could see inside Pete's sac :-) So cool! then the dr used the laser to cauterize the veins that attached the babies. And we watched and prayed. Then the dr. took a little peek around at Pete and Repete :-) So neat! We could see Pete's face, even his eyebrows, his finger and toenails, and yup... he's a boy ;-)  we saw a little bit of Repete but not nearly as clear as Pete, because of the thin membrane that is separating them. The dr. didn't want to get too close to the membrane because it would be bad if that broke.  The whole operation took about 18 mins, so actually quite quick - and the incision is so small it didn't even need stitches, just tape! :-) I went into recovery for a bit, and then headed upstairs. I asked if I could PLEASE have something to eat... the nurse said 'the chart says ice chips' What??? It had been 25hrs since I had last eaten at that point, so I pleaded a little more and she let me eat an apple and orange juice I had saved. That's all I was allowed :-( I wasn't very happy... at least they gave me some tylonol after the surgery - it took away my food headache.
The nurses gave me some antibiotics before I went to sleep, and again a few times during the next day. I had breakfast at 8:30 Yay! Food! YUM!
 I had an ultrasound at 11:30am this morning and things looked good :-) heartbeats for both, they were both moving, and Repete already had more amniotic fluid :-) Then we went back to our room and while we were waiting to hear from the dr. Matthew's cousin (a brother of the cousin we stayed at for the weekend) came for a visit :-) Was nice to see him again, it had been a few years :-) . Then the dr came at 7:30 and did another ultrasound, he said he does see a change in the heartbeats from the ultrasounds before the surgery. This is normal, it's the babies adjusting to the difference in blood flow. Their hearts should normalize over the next  few days - Matthew's analogy is that it's kinda like when you get new glasses, your eyes take a few days to adjust. :-)
 We are at a hotel now and will go to the hospital for another ultrasound in the morning to see their heartbeats. Hopefully things will continue to be positive :-) Praise God things have gone so well so far!

4 comments:

  1. Yay!! So glad surgery went well. Here's hoping Pete and Re-Pete get good and strong now! Thinking and praying for you, Matthew and the kiddos. All the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy everything is going well! Praise the Lord!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankful things are going well. I hear ya on the no food thing. Man, especially being pregnant and not being able to eat for so long! I'm sure the breakfast was wonderful, even if it was cold, sticky oatmeal eh?
    Praying for continued progress so that you may return home to be with the rest of your children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would be grouchy too if I didn't have anything to eat. {Just ask Steve! HAhaha} But we are so glad that everything went well with the surgery and we hope that it continues to look good for you and the babies! Oh so precious, babies. That's very cool that you got to "see" them from the inside of the womb. cooler than an ultrasound! Wishing you a fast recovery and that you may come home to your kiddies soon. {Rebekah is doing a great job so far.}

    ReplyDelete